Registration and morning coffee
Insurance Asset Risk welcome address
KEYNOTE PRESENTATION: Managing asset risk in a tumultuous investment climate
- How have recent market events impacted approaches to strategic asset allocation?
- Incorporating political risk: what have we learned?
- What has driven investment income in 2019 to date?
- What can we expect in the next 24 months?
CIO, CRO AND CA HUDDLE: Linking strategic risk management and C-level conversations with investment strategies
- How do CIOs validate their investment decisions with risk and actuarial teams?
- Speaking with the CRO: using SRM to decide which assets to invest in
- How can a CIO contribute to the discussion of upholding underwriting standards and appropriate setting of risk limits?
- Understanding how ALM/DFA interacts with the role of the CIO, the CRO and the CA: where does the risk tolerance of one stops and the risk appetite of the other starts?
- How can risk projections be more effectively calculated through communication between both sides of the balance sheet?
- Modeling in an integrated manner: how can ALM/DFA help CFOs and CROs understand how a company reacts in different economic environments?
Panellist: Rip Reeves, Chief Investment Officer/Treasurer, AEGIS Insurance
PANEL: Securing investment wins in the current credit cycle
- What is the level of risk appetite at this point in the credit cycle?
- How can investors navigate a balance between high-yield and credit risk?
- What should investment teams do to find liquidity within sensible risk limits?
- How can insurers protect their portfolios against rising credit risk?
- Where are the main pressure points – but also opportunities – for long-term investors?
PANEL: Joining up the dots on stress testing investment portfolios and risk capital
- Where might the market be overleveraged and what does this mean for capital management and ALM?
- How do you calculate risk-adjusted returns across non-vanilla assets and calculate trade-offs with other asset classes?
- Preparing for a difficult credit environment: how best to model and stress test illiquid credit risk and esoteric assets
- Are people sacrificing capital for returns or looking at more efficient uses of capital?
- What happens when stress and risk tolerances reach their limit? How does this feed back into corporate plans at the management level?
- Are there hedging or derivatives strategies that can help?
Panellist: Carl Groth, Group Financial Risk Officer, Principal Financial Group
PANEL: Understanding ESG strategies and longer-term risk assessments
- Exclusion, impact investing or and the risk-based ESG approach: what are the key concerns and approaches for each?
- When might investors in ESG asset classes see a material advantage relative to other investment strategies?
- What are the ideal asset classes for insurers to pursue if they want to achieve impact?
- Opportunities for management of risk limits and exposure, on both sides of the balance sheet
- How can climate risk be incorporated into day to day risk limits and asset allocation strategies?
- Insurer vs third-party approaches to ESG: what are the common differences and how are they reconciled
PRESENTATION: The role of private debt in sustainable infrastructure
- Infrastructure represents $1.1 trillion of the annual investment required to address the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) - what's the role of private capital in infrastructure?
- How is infrastructure debt poised to be an important component to the solution in addressing the challenges and risks by climate change?
- What characteristics classify an infrastructure project as making a positive contribution on the environment?
- How do you measure sustainability performance for regulatory and taxonomy purposes?
Speaker: James Wilson, Chief Investment Officer, Macquarie Infrastructure Debt Investment Solutions
DEBATE AND INTERACTIVE POLL: Are leveraged loans a threat to insurer portfolios?
- How does demand for leveraged loans compare with pre-financial crisis levels?
- Has increased demand led to weaker covenants?
- How resilient is the credit quality of leveraged loans?
- Is a liquidity crunch on the horizon if demand for CLOs dries up?
Regulatory updates and ramifications for risk calculations
- How might the expansion of 6 to 20 classifications of asset risks impact investment strategies?
- RBC1 investment charges: what are the capital implications in the current investment climate?
- CECL: is it falling between job roles? What are the "need to knows" for CECL and GAAP accounting changes?
PANEL: Scenario testing and economic generators in an unpredictable investment environment
- How to implement scenario analysis for each type of portfolio
- How effective are economic scenario generators as an asset allocation tool?
CIO PANEL: Taking smart risks – now and for the future
- How can uncertainty and volatility create opportunities for CIOs willing to take smart risks?
- How are risk-adjusted return dynamics informing asset allocations and capital calculations?
- What are the constraints when optimising an asset portfolio?
- How are new technology trends and disruptive innovation influencing the availability and desirability of new asset classes? Can these risks be effectively modelled?
- How are CIOs embracing big data and tech innovation in the risk management and investment space?
- Can it reduce costs and increase efficiency, or does it introduce another risk to the system?
Panellist: Teresa McTague, Managing Director, Chief Investment Officer, Global Investments, Aflac
PANEL: Dealing with alternatives and illiquidity in a crisis
- How significant is the liquidity threat for insurers?
- What steps have insurers taken to manage liquidity?
- Are illiquid assets functional in a credit market downturn?
- Alternative asset classes and illiquid assets: sorting the good from the bad
- Which types of alternative assets have insurers expanded into?
- How useful are alternatives in stressed market conditions?
- Private placement market: are yields worth the illiquidity trade off?
· How significant is the liquidity threat for insurers?
· What steps have insurers taken to manage liquidity?
· Are illiquid assets functional in a credit market downturn?
· Alternative asset classes and illiquid assets: sorting the good from the bad
· Which types of alternative assets have insurers expanded into?
· How useful are alternatives in stressed market conditions?
· Private placement market: are yields worth the illiquidity trade off?