This year's North America awards were characterised by a significant number of new names taking the top prizes, attesting to the growth in value and breadth of the insurance asset management business.
This year's biggest award winner was BlackRock, which took the crown in three categories. In doing so the asset manager confirmed its credentials as not only the biggest insurance asset manager in the world but one that many insurance clients see as offering significant value—no wonder then that it won a $150bn mandate from AIG earlier this year.
The current year also saw new names on the prize list. MetLife IM as EM manager, for example, was praised for its refining its approach to ESG in the EM sector while Guggenheim, which has been growing its presence in the insurance space for a few years and currently has nearly $140bn in GA assets it manages, won the fixed income manager.
Loomis Sayles is another new name, winning the multi-asset manager award.
Then there was new entrant Income Research + Management which bagged the diversity and inclusion award for its range of progressive investment work.
A few categories have seen a retention of wins—Moody's Analytics was once more considered best climate risk initiative with its comprehensive solution for insurers.
CIO of the year was awarded to Jean La Torre at Guardian Life. Despite only being in the role a couple of years, La Torre has shown some meaningful strides in bolstering Guardian's business against the volatile conditions seen in markets this year as well as instigating new ESG developments into the company's investment processes.
The whole of Insurance Asset Risk's team would like to thank the industry for its support, and the judges for their time and expertise.
- Alternatives manager of the Year: BlackRock
- Diversity and inclusion initiative of the year: Income Research + Management
- Emerging markets manager of the Year: MetLife Investment Management
- Insurance asset risk technology provider of the year: BlackRock
- Private debt manager of the Year: BlackRock
- Real asset manager of the Year: DWS
- Fixed income manager of the Year: Guggenheim Investments
- Multi-asset manager of the Year: Loomis Sayles
- Climate Risk Initiative of the year: Moody's
- Structured debt manager of the year: Wellington Management
- Investment team of the Year, Asset Manager: AllianceBernstein
- Chief investment officer of the year: Jean La Torre (Guardian Life)